Reaching out to a friend you haven't talked to in a while does not have to be an awkward experience.
A situation is only as awkward as you make it. So if you approach the situation with confidence and poise then it won't feel unnatural or awkward.
The best way to reach out to someone (and we have a framework you can use here) is in the most authentic way as you can.
Authenticity has an amazing way of piercing the veil of distance between you and the person you are reaching out to.
Here are some of the key points from our live conversation:
- leverage the various communication channels at our disposal to reach out to people
- think about your favorite medium of communication (phone, text, email, etc.) and reach out that way
- don't let social media deter you from contacting the person (i.e., even if you see their highlight reels that does not mean that you know what's actually going on in their lives, so you should still reach out)
- reaching out to someone from your past reconnects you to that part of your life
- present an authentic reason for reaching out to the person, share with them why you thought of them
- these kinds of memory jogs are touching to the people to whom you're reaching out
- sometimes reaching out to someone means replying to an email you haven't responded to in years
- sometimes our ego gets in the way and prevents us from initiating contact and we end up making excuses why we shouldn't reach out and talk ourselves out of it
- you might not need anything from them, but maybe they could use a friend to talk to right now: don't think about what they can give you, think about what you can give them -- especially now, everyone is a little bit lonely so let's be kinder to each other
Check out these related lessons and Livestream conversations:
- Reconnecting with Someone You Haven't Spoken to in awhile (Lesson)
- How to Make Friends as a Adult (Live)
- How to Maintain Your Friendships as a Busy Adult (Lesson)
- Communication Channels and What Channel is the Best for Your Message (Lesson)
- Benefits of Face to Face Communication (Lesson)
- How to Build Your Relationships through Communication (Lesson)
- Everyday Examples of Symbolic Interactionism (Livestream)
- Why Face to Face Communication Matters (Livestream)
If you enjoyed this livestream, show us some love. Share this post (and any of the other links) with your social circles. And be sure to show up next Saturday for another livestream conversation. We go live every Saturday at 10:30 am (US ET). See you there!
Happy Explearning ⚡